Among the millions of paintings created and displayed in galleries and museums around the world, a very small number transcends time and makes history. This selected group of the most famous paintings is recognized by people from all over the world and of all ages and will likely continue to resonate and leave an impression on people’s minds for centuries to come. . Here is a list of some of the most famous paintings in the world.
1. The Mona Lisa – Leonardo da Vinci. The world’s most famous painting is the main attraction of the Louvre in Paris, where it is viewed by six million people every year! Leonardo da Vinci painted it from 1503 or 1504 until his death in 1519.
2. The Last Supper – Leonardo da Vinci. This world-famous painting is not on display in a museum, but on the back wall of the dining room at the Santa Maria delle Grazie monastery in Milan, Italy. It was painted by the most famous painter of all time, Leonardo da Vinci in the late 15th century. The painting depicts the scene of the Last Supper of Jesus with his disciples. Seeing this masterpiece in the small monastery is truly one of the best attractions Milan has to offer.
3. The Creation Of Adam – Michelangelo. Located on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City, Rome. Adam’s creation was painted by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1512 and it is just one of nine scenes from the book of Genesis painted on the center of the chapel’s ceiling.
4. Starry Night – Vincent van Gogh. Painted by Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh in 1889, Starry Night is one of the most famous paintings in modern culture. The painting is part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. The painting is the inspiration for the song “Vincent” (also known as “the night of stars”) by Don McLean. McLean’s song refers to the painting as well as other paintings by the famous artist.
5. Scream – Edvard Munch. Edvard Munch’s most famous work, painted circa 1893. It was painted with oil and pastel on cardboard. This scary painting is on display at The National Gallery, Oslo, Norway.